Sunday, September 28, 2008

Today's Church Chat

Sacrament meeting was really good, but hard this week because the kids are with their Dad. I realized that I missed my raspberry climbing all over me while searching for treats in my well used, stained, but much loved church bag. I missed CC coming to sit with me after passing the sacrament and leaning his tired head on my shoulder (while secretly trying to steal treats from his sister.) I missed raspberry's stacks of crayons and books scattered all over the bench and CC asking me to scratch his back with my nails for the 10th time. It was a good sacrament meeting though, and I did get to listen to all of it. That doesn't happen very often. There wasn't one bathroom or drink break. I think that might be a record.

Sunday School was great. I love those kids. Today we talked about Looking Beyond Yourself, selfishness vs. selflessness, and getting rid of your 'pocket full of change' (if you want to know what that means, keep reading). We spent some time in Galations and 1st John chapters 3 and 4, which the kids now call the love chapters.

Galation 5 verses:

14 For all the alaw is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt blove thy neighbour as thyself.
15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
16 This I say then, aWalk in the bSpirit,

They liked verse 15. We talked about how we 'bite and devour one another' whether at home, at school or with our friends. They had some great comments.

1st John love verses:
(chapter 3)
11 For this is the amessage that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
(chapter 4) - Covered most of the chapter. It's short and they enjoyed counting all of the love words again. They commented that John must be one sensitive guy - 'He's gotta a lot of love to give Sister J.', 'Yes David, he sure does'.

'Pocket Full of Change'
I told them that we should carry around a pocket full of change next week. As we give sincere compliments, help, or encouragement to another throughout our day, we can get rid of one of the coins. At the end of the day we should have no more change. KJ said, 'Sister J., I'm carrying around a pocket full of sunshine'.

I told them we could start with 5 or 10 pennies and they were actually insulted. They decided on 20, 25, 30, 45, 55 and 75 cents (in pennies) next week in one day.

That is a whole lot of compliments and encouragement waiting to be dished out by some incredible teens.

Go class go!

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Sounds like a fun and great lesson!

Adam just left for church a few minutes ago. I have been nursing a massive headache for the past two days, so I'm laying in bed, with my laptop, hoping I can get rid of it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn... As requested...
I made it to London today(Reading, actually). There was a foggy mist all across the countryside which was my main view on the 1 1/2 hour train from the airport to Reading. It was pretty for a minute or two, then mostly mind-numbing for my poor brain that had been awake for 24+ hours straight.
I haven't taken even a moment to look around yet -- sleep is my top priority. I'm staying at the Madejski hotel - www.madejskihotel.com - which is attached to a football stadium. A bit of an odd arrangement, but its a nice hotel, close to my office (so I hear), with excellent internet access.

On a side note... I was able to score some EXCELLENT Indian food tonight. Indian and Thai food are two of the best parts of being near London!

Life, Love and a Lil Sauce said...

I wish you were my sunday school teacher! Thanks again for the tickets ... an you look super hot in your photo!

Shauna said...

What a great lesson! Thanks for sharing :)