Thursday, September 3, 2009

My running life - post 2

Why is this post 2? Post 1 was this.

Post 2. Figured out why I'm getting shin splits. I went to the runner's corner and talked to 'Hawk'. He has the greatest personality to fit that name. He's about 60, ran 100 miles last week, works in the temple and sells shoes on the side (has a cute wife too, she wasn't anywhere near 60). He said my shoes were too small. I can wear a 9 1/2 or a 10 (reg. shoe). To run he said I needed to be in an 11 or 11 1/2. He also watched me run and said that I didn't have the typical female flailing feet. um what? Apparently that is good.  He also said I run in a straight line. Yea me.

Hawk's recommendation:

My feet feel so much better and my shins are healing.

I ran 3 miles yesterday. I did walk for 3 minutes in two different places. It took me about 45 minutes. Oh, I am so slow... but I keep going. The best part was the HILL. I have a hate/love relationship with hills. When I rounded the corner and came to the HILL I was going to walk, then the Rocky theme came blasting through my Ipod and into my head so Rocky and I made it up the hill together and then I just kept going. Sometimes I feel like I'm lame at most everything, but I wasn't lame today! -- I made it up that freakin HILL and all the way home.  I remember not too far back when I couldn't run three minutes. Holy moly bat man (that's from my sister).

1 comment:

K-SUN said...

You are a champ. There is no better feeling than looking at a hill and feeling pain and thinking you just can't do it, but then swoosh a shot of stubbornness and adrenaline and all the sudden you are up that hill. I love conquering hills. Glad you got some good shoes. Keep on running!