Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You want to charge me what?



Had an interesting morning at the car dealership for my Mitsubishi Outlander (2003). I was switching the air in my car a couple of days ago for raspberry. She was cold, so I turned the knob to hot. I turned it, mind you, in the same simple form I've been turning it for the last 4 years. A simple turn, no jerks, twists, or wrenching, the same simple turn that everyone uses to turn the air from cold to hot...only this time the dial broke. The plastic simply broke off. After inspecting the less than dime size plastic portion that broke I thought, "well, that shouldn't cost too much to replace".

The nice dealer man said something about air, dirt, coming in under the hood, coming up into the system where the parts that turn the box from hot to cold and cold to hot get dirt on them and it makes the parts stick and not turn and on and on he went. I think the longer the story the more expensive the part.

Yep. I should have known better, anything that comes from the dealer has a 150% increase.
Sorry kids, you are just going to be cold for a while, perhaps until 2009 when the car is paid off.

Oh, and the part, it was $350.00. The labor is extra (a whole lot extra).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

$350 ????? Now that is just dumb. I say buy the part and call one of our uncles or cousins in SLC to put it in for you. Ridiculous

Kila said...

$350?! Have a Boy Scout create a new part for you ;)