Tuesday, February 2, 2010

homemade Pizza for FHE and the food we can no longer eat.

I made the mistake of watching Food Inc. and now I am paranoid about what my children are eating. I was at Sam's Club the other day with Chelle and I couldn't buy chicken. It just made me sick. I liked chicken, dang it. That movie has ruined me for life.

I also read this book which sent me to this Web page to learn more about hidden sugars and that lovely thing we call partially hydrogenated oil. Gross. PHO is basically buckets of melted lard. There are buckets of lard in our favorite cookies and in those healthy crackers. That is very sad. They must go.
Making dinner just got really hard. I've never been much into prepackaged food, but now I think "Don't buy it! You are poisoning your children! What kind of a mother are you!" 

I stopped at the store on my way home from work yesterday to buy a Family Night treat. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING I picked up was full of sugars, at least three different kinds per package, corn syrup, brown sugar, glucose and fructose (melted sugar), other ingredients that I couldn't pronounce and then dyes. All sorts of dyes. There was a whole chapter on dyes. And then the killer PHO. I was so flustered I ended up buying frozen raspberries, blackberries and cream. Emma was estatic. I made Brax some homemade caramel sauce for his 'somewhat clear of chemicals' vanilla ice cream we had in the freezer. Yes, there is sugar in caramel sauce, but at least I knew every ingredient was from my pantry and not a testing lab. See. Paranoid.

When I got home, we made homemade Pizza's. (I looked at the premade, just add water, crust box at the store, -- full of guck).  Had to be from scratch, sauce too.  It was actually fairly easy to make, I used whole wheat and I could pronounce every ingredient, it was all in my pantry. Whew. The whole meal had 1/4 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.  The final result? Two thumbs up from both Brax and Emma (the pickest eater I know). Hurray.

Tonight? 100% whole wheat pasta...

Sidetrack here: did you know if it doesn't say 100% whole wheat and only says 'whole wheat' then it could be 2% or 10% wheat with fillers, something else I learned. Bother.

back to dinner... with parmesan cheese, broccoli (only for Brax), Emma won't touch anything green (sigh), apples and some other whole food that hasn't been processed so I don't feel like a bad mother.

Eating is hard.

Pictures. Taken with phone camera, so they are a little yellow.

 


 

 

 
















 

 

3 comments:

Life, Love and a Lil Sauce said...

I watched that too and was so disturbed! Especially about the chicken ...

Ann said...

You are such a good mommy!

Jenn Free said...

Jenn, I think I'm too afraid to click on the links in your post. Should I really do it? I might learn something too :). See you tomorrow!