Sunday, August 24, 2008

What apron strings?

So the other day I was harassed a bit by some friends who accused me of being a bit overprotective toward my 12 year old.

I'm trying hard not to be 'that mom', so I sent him off with a hug and a 'be safe please' to Mt. Olympus on Saturday with his deacon quorum. A short hike up and back that started at 6:00 a.m. and was supposed to end at 2:00 p.m. (which somehow meant 5:00 p.m.) I wasn't panicked since he did call me at the point (9,000 ft.) and said he was having a great time and the view was 'amazing mom'.




He only had a few blisters and was filthy when he returned, but then 'the moms' got to me on Sunday. Apparently they all ran out of water when they got to the point, he had some "alone" time on this 7 mile trail (he and another deacon took a wrong turn), he jumped over a rattlesnake, and one of his friends has heat stroke.

And people wonder why mothers are overprotective?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember when Steph and I decided to climb the mountain in Park West and forgot to tell anyone. Overprotective? I remember that too. Ha ha ha Cush